SINCE ITS FOUNDATION IN EARLY 90-IES OF THE LAST CENTURY THE LITIGATION GROUP OF SERGII KOZIAKOV & PARTNERS HAS BEEN SUCCESSFULLY REPRESENTING AND DEFENDING THE INTERESTS OF CLIENTS IN UKRAINIAN COURTS, COURTS OF FOREIGN JURISDICTIONS AND IN INTERNATIONAL ARBITRATION INSTITUTIONS.
Firm lawyers were involved in resolution of hundreds of commercial, administrative, civil and criminal cases in courts at all levels including domestic arbitration. We also have broad experience in settling disputes in corporate relations, taxes, banking and finance, real estate, privatization, industry, pharmaceuticals, insurance, competition, natural resources and environmental protection, energy, labor relations, as well as in many other areas of business and relationships with state authorities.
Our attorneys defended clients in criminal cases regarding their business activity, particularly tax evasion and other criminal charges.
Company attorneys have repeatedly acted as experts and advisors in international courts of commercial arbitration in Ukraine, Russian Federation, Great Britain, France, Austria, Switzerland and other countries.
Our lawyers` extensive experience and knowledge of Ukrainian specificities allow them to regularly act as experts in resolving disputes at the International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID).
In 2019 partner Mykola Podpalov recognized as one of the leaders in “Litigation” practice according to the study of the Legal Newspaper “Client Choice. 100 best lawyers of Ukraine”.
Sergii Koziakov recognized as leading lawyer in litigation according to Best Lawyers 2022.
We also provide academic legal expertise that can be used by the parties in litigation to strengthen their legal positions.
OUR RECENT CASEWORK
- representing the State of Ukraine in the case of the return of “Scythian gold” in the courts of the Kingdom of the Netherlands;
- representing the State of Ukraine in the case of murder of Italian journalist Andrea Rocchelli, in courts of the Italian Republic;
- protection of interests of KP SPB Arsenal at the ICAC at the Russian CCI and at the ICAC at the Ukrainian CCI in disputes regarding fulfillment of contractual obligations;
- protecting the interests of well-known Polish manufacturer of building materials in the ICAC at the Ukrainian CCI in a dispute regarding fulfillment of contractual obligations and payment of debt for goods delivered;
- protection of the interests of DTEK Energo LLC in courts of Ukraine in case on invalidation of transactions, return and reclamation of shares;
- representing Liberian company – ship-owner, in the arbitration against the Ukrainian company in the ICAC at the CCI of Ukraine on debt collection for the goods delivered;
- investment arbitration Joseph Lemire (USA) vs. Ukraine (“Gala Radio” case) amounting to USD 35 mln; amicable agreement is signed;
- representation of “Gala Radio” in a dispute with the National Council for Television and Radio Broadcasting on illegal sanctions;
- representing one of the largest domestic agricultural products producer in the International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) and the International Arbitration Court at the Economic Chamber of Austria (“VIAC”) in a dispute as to the debt recovery for delivered goods;
- protection of interests of alcoholic beverages producers in courts regarding usage of trademarks of one of the most famous vodka (alcohol beverage) in Ukraine;
- defense of the strategic enterprise of the chemical industry of Ukraine – Odessa Port Plant – in three unprecedented cases against the Antimonoly Committee of Ukraine, OJSC Togliattiazot, SE Ukrhimtransammiak in courts of Ukraine;
- representing SE “Lactalis Ukraine” in courts of Ukraine against the AMCU;
- representing SE “Ukrspyrt” in courts of Ukraine against the AMCU;
- representing the Ministry of Defense of Ukraine in a dispute against Russian journalist and the All-Russian State Television and Radio Broadcasting Company over rebuttal of unreliable information;
- representing public joint-stock company in a dispute with tax authorities amounting to USD 120 mln;
- representation of a group of Ukrainian companies in a high profile dispute against the State Property Fund of Ukraine on the results of privatization tender;
- settling disputes regarding repealing privatization of one of the largest enterprises in Ukraine;
- representing renowned international corporation in a dispute filed by Ukrainian producer on invalidation and annulment of the decision of Interdepartmental Commission on International Trade;
- representing one of the largest domestic agricultural products producers in a dispute on annulment of the decision of the Antimonopoly Committee of Ukraine;
- representation of the broadcasting company in dispute on copyright infringement (commercial courts) and on annulment of the decision of the National Council for Television and Radio Broadcasting;
- representing a major Austrian company in a dispute on the legal status of real estate object in Ukraine worth USD 17 mln);
- representing the authors of a well-know animated film “Kapitoshka” against copyright violators in the courts at all levels (more than 15 cases) on the territory of Ukraine;
- dispute on prohibition of use of a trademark in the interests of a well-known Ukrainian producer of sparkling wines;
- representing a major European trucks manufacturer in disputes on lease agreements termination and debt collection under these agreements;
- defending the interests of the head of a state enterprise in a criminal investigation launched by the prosecutor’s office on abuse of powers;
- defending the interests of the head of one of the banks of Kyiv in a criminal case on the fact of theft of extremely large amounts of money and documents forgery, the investigation was conducted by the Prosecutor`s Office;
- defending the executives of one of Ukraine’s largest agricultural holdings in a tax evasion case initiated by the Prosecutor’s Office. Pre-trial investigation of the case was conducted by the State Tax Police of Ukraine;
- defending one of the heads of a state authority in Kyiv City in a criminal case on the fact of official negligence, the investigation was conducted by the Security Service of Ukraine;
- defending the interests of company’s executives in criminal investigation launched by the Prosecutor’s Office against the company officials for theft of extremely large amounts of money.
LEGAL ACADENIC EXPERTISE
Partner Sergii Koziakov was involved as an expert in Ukrainian Law in courts of many countries including the Great Britain, France and the United States of America, for example:
- preparation a legal academic expertise regarding possibilities of fair justice in Ukraine courts, considering specificities of the legislation and court practice. The report was represented in the High Court of Justice (The Great Britain), the recipient being the Transnational Corporation with HQ in the Swiss Confederation;
- developing the Declaration on some aspects of the Corporate Law of Ukraine in favor of the respondent in the dispute heard by the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York, the recipient being the respondent in the dispute.