SINCE THE END OF THE 1980-S, OUR LAWYERS AMONG THE FIRST IN UKRAINE STARTED TO PROVIDE LEGAL ASSISTANCE IN EXTERNAL ECONOMIC ACTIVITY.
Sergii Koziakov & Partners has significant experience in representing foreign manufacturers, exporters and importers and their associations, authorized bodies of export countries during trade investigations, as well as in advising domestic producers regarding the initiation of such investigations.
In 1990-1991, Sergii Koziakov participated in the elaboration of the Law of Ukraine “On Foreign Economic Activity”, which introduced the basic norms of international trade law into Ukrainian legislation, in particular, concepts of export, import, national treatment, MFN treatment, licensing, quotas, dumping, etc.
Partner Natalia Isakhanova is a member of the SAWTR (Strategic Alliance for WTO and Trade Remedies Law and Practice) international professional alliance, which brings together world’s leading practitioners in international trade law.
Lawyers of International trade practice are recognized as leading experts in international trade law and foreign economic activity in Ukraine according to Getting the Deal Through, Corporate LiveWire, Global Law Expert and Legal newspaper, The Legal 500, WWL etc.
Sergii Koziakv & Partners has been recommended as leading firm in International Trade by The Legal 500 EMEA.
‘They know both the law and the lore, the facts and the people, so they are able to provide correct but also useful advice,’ says a client about International trade team of Sergii Koziakov & Partners headed by partner Nataliia Isakhanova.
Other testimonials say that
“Nataliia Isakhanova is great. She is a responsive, helpful and trusted adviser”, ‘The firm has a strong trade practice with leading experts.’, ‘Nataliia Isakhanova is well known – and appropriately so – within the market.’
The Legal 500 EMEA recognized Nataliia Isakhanova as one of the leading lawyers in the practice of Ukraine, and also noted
Practice head Nataliia Isakhanova (who is deputy head of the Chinese Commercial Association Export-Import Committee) and associate Andrii Pylypenko are ‘really dedicated to their cases and do their best efforts to resolve them in their clients’ favour’. ‘It is one of the top trade practices in Ukraine. They are always helpful and often provide useful information.’
We were recognized as one of the leaders in the practice of “International Law / Foreign Economic Activity” (international trade) according to Research “Market Leaders: Rating of Ukrainian Law Firms” performed by Ukrainian edition “Legal newspaper”.
Nataliia Isakhanova was included in the list of “TOP 100 – Best Lawyers of Ukraine” according to the “Legal Newspaper”, and was recognized as one of the best lawyers in Ukraine in the practice of International Trade.
Nataliia Isakhanova was recognised as leading lawyer in International trade by international ranking Best Lawyers.
Partner Nataliia Isakhanova is recommended among the world’s best experts in the sphere Trade and Customs by Who’s Who Legal: Trade & Customs. Since 1996 Who’s Who Legal has identified the world’s best the legal practitioners and consulting experts in business law based upon comprehensive, independent research.
“Sergii Koziakov & Partners” was included in the TOP 5 Best Law Firms of Ukraine in International Trade according to Ukrainian research Legal Practice. 50 Leading Law Firms of Ukraine.
“Sergii Koziakov & Partners” provides legal services to Ukrainian and foreign clients in various aspects of international trade regulation and WTO law, including:
- Representation in anti-dumping, anti-subsidy and safeguard investigations;
- advising on WTO law issues, in particular on tariff and non-tariff barriers to trade, regional integration, customs valuation, sanitary and phytosanitary measures, technical barriers to trade, licensing, dispute resolution, regulation of trade in services, trade aspects of intellectual property rights, trade regulation of agricultural products and the like;
- advising on the entry of Ukrainian goods and services to foreign markets;
- analysis of compliance of regulatory legal acts and government measures with WTO standards;
- advising on Ukraine’s participation in preferential trade agreements (free trade zones and customs unions)
- providing advice on trade policy issues;
- Academic legal expertise in international trade law.
Trade investigations and trade defense instruments
In the course of trade investigations, we represented, inter alia:
– Lactalis Group during safeguard investigation concerning imports to Ukraine of certain types of cheese regardless of country of origin and export. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures;
– Turkish Business Association and their members during safeguard investigation concerning imports to Ukraine of PVC profiles regardless of country of origin and export. The provisional measures were not applied. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures;
– Chinese manufacturer ZHEJIANG AOPENG INDUSTRY AND TRADING CO., LTD during anti-dumping investigation concerning imports to Ukraine of aluminum ladders originating in the People’s Republic of China, the Slovak Republic, the Republic of Poland and the Republic of Belarus. The investigation was completed without AD measures.
– Chinese manufacturer HUIDA SANITARY WARE CO., LTD in safeguard investigation on imports into Ukraine of ceramic tiles regardless of country of origin and export. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures.
– Belarusian manufacturer and exporter “SOYUZ-KABEL” in safeguard investigation on imports of wires to Ukraine, regardless of the country of origin and export. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures.
– manufacturer and exporter Suzhou Samsung Electronics Co. Ltd. during an anti-dumping investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of refrigeration and freezing equipment from China and Turkey. Based on the results of the investigation, our client received a zero rate of antidumping duty;
– Korean Textile Trade Association in an anti-dumping investigation regarding the import of pile fabrics (including long-pile fabrics) and terry fabrics from China and the Republic of Korea. According to the results of the investigation, the rate of anti-dumping duty for our client was significantly lower than the duty on goods from China;
– US Poultry and Egg Export Council, the Brazilian Association of Chicken Producers and Exporters, and their members in an anti-dumping investigation regarding the import of chicken meat from the United States and Brazil. The anti-dumping investigation was closed without any action being taken;
– Korean manufacturer and exporter Dongbu Metal Co. Ltd. in a safeguard investigation regarding the import of ferroalloys, regardless of the country of origin and export. Safeguard investigation was terminated without any action being taken;
– Korean Electronics Association and Samsung Electronics group of companies in the safeguard investigation regarding the import of refrigeration and freezing equipment, regardless of country of origin and export. Safeguard investigation was terminated without any action being taken;
– consumer of the goods in the safeguard investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of certain products of the processing of oil raw materials (gasoline A-76 (A-80), A-92, A-95, diesel fuel, fuel oil, heating oil, liquefied gas, road bitumen, oil) regardless of the country of origin and export. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures;
– Nissan Motor Ukraine LLC in safeguard investigation regarding the import of cars regardless of the country of origin and export;
– national manufacturer Maryanovsky Glass Factory OJSC in the anti-dumping investigation regarding import into Ukraine of medical glass containers with a capacity of up to 0.15 L from the Russian Federation. Following the investigation it was decided to apply anti-dumping duty in favor of our client;
– Polish manufacturer and exporter Euroglas Polska Z.o.o and the Association of Window and Facade Market Participants (Ukraine) during the review of anti-dumping duties regarding the import of float glass originating from the Russian Federation, the Republic of Belarus and the Republic of Poland. As a result of the review, the anti-dumping duty with respect to Polish manufacturer was canceled in the interests of our clients;
– Neochim PLC, Agropolychim AD, Grupa Azoty S.A. and its subsidiaries in safeguard investigation on import into Ukraine of some nitrogen fertilizers (in particular: ammonium nitrate and calcium-ammonium nitrate, urea and urea-ammonia mixture) regardless of the country of origin and export. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures;
– Agropolychim AD, Grupa Azoty S.A. and its subsidiaries Compo Expert GmbH, Gdanskie Zaklady Nawozow Fosforowych “Fosfory” sp. z o. o. та Grupa Azoty Zakłady Chemiczne “Police” S.A., in safeguard investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of mineral fertilizers containing nitrogen and phosphorus and mineral fertilizers containing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, regardless of the country of origin and export. The investigation was completed without safeguard measures;
Our lawyers advised foreign manufacturers and exporters on the advisability of participating in the following trade investigations:
- safeguard investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of mineral fertilizers containing three nutrients: nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium with a nitrogen content of more than 10%, regardless of the country of origin and export;
- safeguard investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of sheet glass of heat treatment unreinforced, transparent, colorless thickness of more than 3.5 mm, but not exceed 4.5 mm, regardless of country of origin and export;
- anti-dumping investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of sheet metal in rolls and in packs with a protective and decorative coating;
- anti-dumping investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of citric acid originating from the People’s Republic of China.
In addition, the firm’s lawyers advised national producers on the advisability of initiating the following trade protection procedures:
- anti-dumping investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of consumer goods (the country of origin is confidential information);
- review of anti-dumping measures in force in the territory of the Eurasian Economic Union for the import of forged steel rolls for metal rolling states originating from Ukraine;
- initiating a trade investigation regarding the import into Ukraine of certain types of medicines.
- In 2005, in collaboration with leading EU lawyers, under the request of the World Bank, we participated in the preparation of reports on analysis of compliance of Ukrainian legislation with WTO agreements and preparation of proposals for bringing Ukrainian legislation in line with WTO standards and requirements on the following topics: technical barriers to trade and licensing; development of the state program to support agriculture and export-import of food products in accordance with WTO standards; analysis of the current legislation of Ukraine regulating trade in services, preparation of relevant proposals on amendments to Ukrainian legislation; analysis of Ukrainian legislation on the protection of intellectual property rights and ensuring the implementation of such standards in order to bring them in line with the requirements of the WTO and developing proposals for harmonizing Ukrainian legislation on the protection of intellectual property rights according to WTO standards; analysis of WTO rules in the context of issues addressed by the Doha Round of negotiations.
- In October-December 2015, by request of the Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine, our lawyers took part in the development of the draft National Export Strategy for the period 2016-2020 and Action plan for its implementation. The project was implemented in conjunction with one of the research institutes of Ukraine.
- In 2017, our lawyers participated in a project to develop proposals for reforming the customs and currency legislation of Ukraine and amending the Law of Ukraine “On Foreign Economic Activity” regarding the application of special sanctions to foreign economic activity entities (as part of the USAID Leadership in Economic Management program) .
- In 2017-2018 our lawyers participated in a working group on the preparation of amendments to the current legislation of Ukraine in the field of trade protection (Ministry of Economic Development and Trade of Ukraine).
EDUCATIONAL ACTIVITY PRO BONO
Over the past decade, lawyers of Sergii Koziakov & Partners contributed to the formation in Ukraine of a whole pleiad of new generation of experts in international trade, who today work in public and private sectors, in field of education and in legal business.
The educational activities of “Sergii Koziakov & Partners” include the following areas:
- Since 2009, lawyers of the international trade practice of Sergii Koziakov & Partners have been preparing and acting as academic advisers to the team of Taras Shevchenko Kiev National University in the International Court Debates on WTO Law.
- Thanks to the active efforts of international trade lawyers of Sergii Koziakov & Partners, in 2013 the English-language master’s program “Regulation of International Trade” was founded at the Institute of International Relations of Taras Shevchenko National University of Kyiv;
- In 2018, Sergii Koziakov & Partners together with ELSA Ukraine laid the foundation for the tradition of holding All-Ukrainian court debates on WTO law, where our company acts as an exclusive partner, co-organizer and academic adviser.
- Isakhanova N., “Rules of Origin Under the Legislation of Ukraine and Its Correlation with International Treaties to Which Ukraine Is a Party, Including FTAs and PEM Convention”. Global Trade and Customs Journal, Volume 15, Issue 3/4 (2020) pp. 137 – 145. URL: https://kluwerlawonline.com/journalarticle/Global%20Trade%20and%20Customs%20Journal/1.1/40799
- Ісаханова Н., Кривецька О. За крок від торгової війни: як Україна ледь не втратила ринок Узбекистану. Європейська правда від 18/12/18. URL: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/experts/2018/12/18/7090761/?fbclid=IwAR3iH-fOljSSkNS9_zQjYZj5ONehvrmlO8hu8FCpRDcJMF0CBGGu-UO6k4
- Isakhanova, N., Kryvetska, O. (2018). Trade Restrictions and WTO disputes in Ukraine –Russia trade relations. In G. Horlick (Ed.), Getting the Deal Through – Trade and Customs 2019 (pp. 12-16). London: Law Business Research Ltd. URL: https://gettingthedealthrough.com/area/51/article/29282/trade-customs-2019-traderestrictions-wto-disputes-ukrainerussia-trade-relations/
- Isakhanova, N., Kryvetska, O. Pylypenko, A. (2018). Ukraine. In G. Horlick (Ed.), Getting the Deal Through – Trade and Customs 2019 (pp. 94-103). London: Law Business Research Ltd.
- Iсаханова Н., Кривецька О. Євразійський економічний союзу та українські прокатні валки: ще одна антидемпінгова історія. URL: http://www.kievbarrister.com/?p=2544&lang=uk
- Iсаханова Н., Кривецька О. Торговельні обмеження США проти імпорту сталі та алюмінію: реакція світу. Юридична Газета, №21-22(623-624). URL: http://yur-gazeta.com/publications/practice/inshe/torgovelni-obmezhennya-ssha-proti-importu-stali-ta-alyuminiyu-reakciya-svitu.html
- Кривецька О. Практичні аспекти treaty shopping. Юридична газета, №23(625). URL: http://yur-gazeta.com/publications/practice/mizhnarodne-pravo-investiciyi/praktichni-aspekti-treaty-shopping.html
- Isakhanova, N., Kryvetska, O. Gradshtein, A. (2017). Ukraine. In G. Horlick (Ed.), Getting the Deal Through – Trade and Customs 2018 (pp. 95-104). London: Law Business Research Ltd.
- Iсаханова Н., Кривецька О. Вплив глобалізації на міжнародну торгівлю. Юридична Газета. Спеціальний випуск «Лідери ринку – 2016». URL: http://yur-gazeta.com/images/Lidery_Rynku_YG.pdf
- Пилипенко А. Статус як захист: Чому Україна не використовує вагомий аргумент у торгових суперечках. Європейська правда. URL: http://www.eurointegration.com.ua/experts/2016/11/17/7057481/
- Кривецька О. Відшкодування ПДВ: чого очікувати українським експортерам від нової податкової реформи. Левый Берег. URL: http://blogs.lb.ua/okryvetska/347048_vidshkoduvannya_pdv_chogo_ochi html
- Кривецька О. Вільна торгівля ЄС та Канади. Який у цьому інтерес України. Європейська Правда. URL: https://www.eurointegration.com.ua/experts/2015/12/9/7041952/
- Ісаханова Н., Кривецька О. Оружейная плата. Юридическая Практика. URL: http://pravo.ua/article.php?id=100113999
- Isakhanova, N., Kryvetska, O. Gradshtein, A. (2016). Ukraine. In G. Horlick (Ed.), Getting the Deal Through – Trade and Customs 2017 (pp. 77-85). London: Law Business Research Ltd.
- Ісаханова Н., Кривецька О. Країна на експорт. Юридична Газета, №36 (534). URL: http://yur-gazeta.com/view/articles/krayina-na-eksport.html
- Кривецька О. Норми СОТ пішли на металобрухт. Чи зійде Україні з рук нове порушення. Європейська Правда. URL: http://www.eurointegration.com.ua/experts/2016/07/14/7052058/
- Isakhanova, N., Kryvetska, O. Gradshtein, A. (2015). Ukraine. In G. Horlick (Ed.), Getting the Deal Through – Trade and Customs 2016 (pp. 76-93). London: Law Business Research Ltd.
- Isakhanova N., Gradshtein A. Kryvetska O. The Key Trade Policy Vectors of Ukraine. Corporate LiveWire. URL: http://www.corporatelivewire.com/top-story.html?id=the-key-trade-policy-vectors-of-ukraine
- Скляров С. Чи потрібен Украні експортний бренд? Юридична Газета №39 (641).
- Кривецька О. Вдосконаленому механізму торговельного захисту бути. Юридична Газета, №10 (612) від 06/03/18. URL: http://yur-gazeta.com/publications/practice/zovnishnoekonomichna-diyalnist/vdoskonalenomu-mehanizmu-torgovelnogo-zahistu-buti.html
- Ісаханова Н., Кривецька О. Експертний коментар про основні помилки при оформленні експортно-імпортних операцій. Український бізнес-ресурс UBR.ua. URL: http://ubr.ua/finances/taxes/kak-pravilno-vybrat-kody-tovarov-dlia-ved-455159
- Кривецька О. Пилипенко А. Мерное соглашение. О порядке применения специальных мер касательно легковых автомобилей из ЕС. Юридическая Практика, № 6 (998). URL: http://pravo.ua/article.php?id=100114854
- Кривецька О. Експертний коментар щодо переваг членства України у СОТ. Юридична Газета, №39 (537).
- Ісаханова Н., Кривецька О. Експертний коментар щодо процедури залучення зовнішніх юридичних радників для представництва України в міжнародних торгових спорах. Юридическая Практика. № 27 (967).
- Кривецька О. Норми СОТ пішли на металобрухт. Чи зійде Україні з рук нове порушення. Європейська Правда. URL: http://www.eurointegration.com.ua/experts/2016/07/14/7052058/
- Ісаханова Н. Експертний коментар щодо змін до Порядку продовження термінів розрахунків за зовнішньоекономічними операціями. Юридическая Практика. URL: http://pravo.ua/news.php?id=0054853